Monday, January 30, 2012

Would you choose Deaf or Blind Students?

As part of my Post Graduate Studies in Special Needs Education, i have decided to Volunteer for a few weeks in a well known School in Ratmalana. I walked into the premises not sure what to expect, half wanting to run back and continue my job hunt in more glamorous settings.

But i put one foot in front of the other, uncertain and insecure!
Walking through the gate, i spotted the sign, "The Ceylon School for the Blind". The office premises was dismal and bare. The typical rundown look of government offices in developing countries.

I got the directions to the Principals office, and found my way to the Principal of the Deaf School. But not before i had this split second to decide which type of impairment i want to work with. The School for the Blind, and the School for the Deaf lay side by side each other.

I saw a few blind children find their way around the school compound, one was feeling her way using the huge columns that held the tall white buildings which stood around a green field.

They wore the white uniforms typical of all government schools here in Sri Lanka, and i saw some others students, leading other students, whom i guessed may have been totally blind.

The premises had a Colonial ambiance that was charming yet desolate. I panicked at the thought of standing in a class full of blind students, who wont be able to see me , and wont be able to understand my accent, that is assuming they can speak English!

Walking further inside, i found my way towards the Section for deaf children, and decided on that split moment to work with the deaf kids, hoping that they could at least lip read, and i could use all sorts of graphics to illustrate my points while teaching. My accent wont be a problem, because they cant hear me.

I got a tour of the school, they were delighted to have me volunteer, and the teacher there immediately cut off periods from other teachers where i could come in and teach. I was glad the classroom was airy and colorful, and even more delighted to exchange smiles with some of the children, the only language that didn't need translating.

I watch the class teacher introduce a lesson to the children, using both sign language and spoken words. My apprehension grew, i don't know sign language!

Tommorrow, I will be going there to observe the students, and then collect the syllabus for the subjects that i am expected to cover.

Wish me luck

I will need it!




No comments:

Post a Comment